The Firefighter

The Firefighter
Successive images of The Firefighter who points to the names of the fallen. These photographs were taken between September 2012 and August 2013.

Viewing the Photographs

This blog features many photographs. These are shown on the page in a small size. They can be viewed in a larger size by clicking on them. When you do that you will get a large size photograph with a series of thumbnails below it. Clicking on any of those will bring it up in a larger size. To go back to the view of the blog, click the area outside the photograph.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Canadian Firefighters Memorial Ceremony - 2014 - part 4 of 5

Many people make this ceremony possible, just as many people participate in it in a variety of ways. I try to get a sense of the people involved, who come and participate, who take pictures and who help with making it happen.









































This shot and the next one are more of my attempts at being artsy and I think
I failed. The yellow mass over to the side is the fire pole next to the statue of
the firefighter. In the original concept the firefighter and the pole were both
supposed to be bronze. They were made by two different enterprises. The
people who made the pole didn't know it was supposed to be bronze, and
it was coloured to match the firefighter who came out of the mould a bright
shiny gold colour. He was affected by the elements and later coated with
a protective material that has made him a dark brown. Meanwhile the pole
kept its shiny gold colour. I think in the end it is a nice contrast. I think the
pictures might have worked if I had put less of the pole into the frame.





I want to get photographers in my shots. I think it's essential to show who
attended the ceremony no matter why they were there. I have had instances
where people have tried to duck out of my pictures or have run out of frame.
If I didn't want them in my picture I would have not aimed my camera their
way. Photographers tend to be lens conscious, and they have a pretty good
idea what field of view the different lenses have. I tend to avoid getting into
a person's shot, too. This is difficult when the photographer is taking pictures
or video with an iPad, iPhone or similar device. I have no idea what the field
of view of those devices is.